Monday, July 2, 2007

Canada Day 2007



The Pursuit of Happiness - I had tea with my dear friend Sidura and her new-born baby Dahlia in Toronto the other day. Our conversation focused on what our dreams and aspirations are for our children and if we had achieved our own dreams. After almost three hours of chatting about where we thought we would be by this time our attention was shifted to Dahlia who awoke to have something to eat. I asked Sidura what she hopes for her daughter and what she thinks other mothers wish for their children. Without hesitation she said, "The freedom to pursue that which will make them happy." Sidura and Jason have a little boy Boaz as well. For her, she is laying the foundation so that her children can take advantage of the opportunities that Canada affords its citizens.

But are all citizens treated equally? The Day of Action took place the other day. This directly impacted those living along highway 400 and those needing access to the train route between Toronto and Montreal. The reason for the protest was to draw attention to the plight of Canada's Aboriginal community. I am not sure if their actions have had a positive effect on their situation. The more I talk to people about what we have in common, the more similarities there are between the European descendants and Canada's First Nations. Perhaps if our governments, both federal and aboriginal started talking from the same page instead of from highlighting the differences the issues like poverty and mismanagement of finances will be addressed more effectively. I know that this seems like a simple statement, but if we are all wanting our children to succeed; the opportunity to put a roof over our head; access to education and health care and to be able to celebrate our achievements then why don't we start with those values and build a solution instead of trying to find a solution through conflict? There is really not much difference between me and my family's roots and those of Canada's Indians. Building a human bridge between our communities is critical for addressing the social crisis that is facing our Aboriginal communities.

Canada Day was spent in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Fireworks were spectacular (I forgot my camera... no pics). This Canada Day was that much more meaningful because I just driven 3600 KM and I am on my return trip. I have to say, the trip out I took my time; now I am just aching to get home to my family and dog... Oh, and my own bed. I have only done a small bit of Canada this trip and while I have done this drive before, this is the first time that I have purposefully taken the backroads and stopped to talk to people. Next time I want to see the sights (I will probably need a couple months!).

Photo taken outside of Espanola, ON

No comments: