Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Talismans

We had several watchful eyes on us as we drove through the Canadian Shield. There were Inukshuks along the rock overhangs that bordered Route 17 between Thunder Bay and Perry Sound. These guardians got me thinking about other talismans that we have protecting us, and in fact, what are these special objects protecting us from? Why would somebody take the time to erect these icons? Why, for that matter, do we need them? Is our survival based upon talismans and luck, and if so, how do we distinguish between the luck of the talisman and the man-made manipulations of our environment? I'd like to think I know the difference between being lucky and being well-organized to influence positive outcomes in my life... But perhaps, I need the Inukshuk to guide my way just as much as I need my daytimer.

As I was thinking about our highway angels I met a guy by the name of Chris. Chris is from White River (around the Wawa area) and was in town from Michigan for a family funeral. We discussed what it was like growing up in a small town in Northern Ontario and then moving to the United States. Chris is a Robotics Engineer and shared with me some of his experiences growing up. Hunting, fishing, enjoying the outdoors. I asked if he missed that, now that he is living in the States and he said that he has chosen to live in the country-side because he needs the open space. SPACE... OPEN SPACE, is another thing that many of us have in common. There is something about knowing that we have the "freedom" to just go outside an breathe.

Chris showed me some photos of a couple bears that had been encroaching on the neighbourhood. They ended up shooting the bears because they were threatening the people (going right up to the doors of the houses). SURVIVAL is another thing that we all have in common. If we are threatened by external forces, like bears, how much of our reaction to that threat based on survival instinct, and how much is forethought? Is there a way that the Bear and the Villagers can live together without resorting to mauling or shooting? What if we were to extrapolate that example to individuals at conflict. At what point does the base instinct of survival get over-ridden by the need to look for longer lasting co-existence? Options would be: Exterminate all bears... I don't think that is a very viable option. Transport nuisance bears out of the area... Proven to not work (they just keep coming back). Shoot problem bears... But does nothing to solve the problem, just addresses the symptom. Educate people on bear habits and habitat in order to work around the problem... Long-term problem solving with no proven track-record... Can man and bear survive together?

What does survival mean? For the past five days I have been taken out of my comfort zone by camping in a tent, cooking over a fire, showering not nearly as often as I prefer and yet I have managed to survive. Identifying the difference between our needs and wants is what makes some of us more adaptive than others. What happens when our needs and our wants conflict? Does this mean we are no longer able to "survive"? How much less can we live on without impinging on our survival? Where would I draw the line? Why should I draw that line to begin with?
Again, another day with more questions and fewer answers. But what an interesting journey to be on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gena! I'm sure that as long as you remembered to pack your 4-leaf clover collection you won't need those superstitious talismans to get you through. You can hold on to your lucky rabbit's foot on your keychain as you drive or pick up a shiny penny when you stop to remind yourself that luck is what we make of it. :)

Happy trails!
Tamasin

Anonymous said...

I have a few issues with your comments.

Inukshuks in the Arctic are used as a landmark to find your way on featureless landscape.
Inukshuks on a well travelled highway are graffiti (Erected for ...??)

Bears interacting with people.
Today there are 6 bilion people on this planet stressing the enviornment.

What will happen to bears when we reach 7,8,9.......billion people ?
Maybe people are the worst (or most sucessful) parasite this planet has been exposed to.

-Dad